Saturday, 16 August 2008

How

How do I fix my eyes upon You
When all those many things lie in the way
How do I not lose sight of Your holiness
When all the dark that I see remains
How do I not let go of You
When all the others reach out for my grasp
How do I meet with You
When all that's tangible tries to push me away

How will the world respond to You
When they look at the way I live
How will they come to know You
If I choose to go my way
How will the people walk by
Not knowing love that's been given to them
How will I choose to lead now
A world that's crying out for Your hand

You've called me into light
To be the city on a hill
You've called me Lord to shine
Like a star in the universe

How can I be Your hands and feet
Showing grace that's been poured out for us
How can I speak Your words of truth
To bring the life that You have to share

Come touch us now
With Your glorious presence
Come heal our land
As we seek Your face

You've called me into light
To be the city on a hill
You've called me Lord to shine
Like a star in the universe

How should I come before You now
In humbleness, broken at Your feet
How should I greet Your majesty
Oh my Father and friend and King



-



While being still today, I thought I heard God say "Pick up the guitar. I am going to give you a song today".

So this was birthed.

One thing I like about this song is that the focus is not on me, but on others. Well, it's about what I can do. But more than that, it's about what I can do (and hopefully
will do!), because of others, for others.

I was quite glad to have the words "like a star in the universe" (Philippians 2:14-15) in this song because I've been wanting to write a song with those words because those really are such awesome words! But it has never "come" or been appropriate, till this song. Let shining not just be an idea, but may we truly shine like stars in the universe.

The "come touch us now" part might seem a bit schizophrenic from the rest of the song that it refers to "us" rather than "I". However, what I'm trying to imply is that this is a collective effort. We can do certain things as individuals, but in the end it is muchly not just one but many efforts, and ultimately a gain for all.

The order of writing for this song was:
"How do..." (Verse 1)
"How should..." (Verse 4)
"You've called me..."
"How will..." (Verse 3)
"Come..."
"How can..." (Verse 2)

Kind of all over the place, but it all fitted nicely in the end!

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light." (1 Peter 2:9)

"You are the salt of the earth... You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:13-16)

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)

You know what? I just finished writing this song an hour ago, but I absolutely cannot remember how it goes :/ Thank God for the capacity to record!




(16 August 2008)

No comments: