This longing inside, what is it now
Only You can fill
Deep down inside I know You're real
You can satisfy
What I long for - to know You more
Deep within me now, I yearn for Yours
This treasure that You have given me
That I can't contain
So precious to me it is, O Lord
I will tell the world
Shout it out loud, sing it proud
That Jesus Christ has saved and set me free!
-
The song just came! Somehow! This is around the time I began life in Melbourne. This was also when I started learning what it really meant to be inspired by God when it came to writing songs - the songs really just came . Sometimes the lyrics first, and sometimes the music part of it first. I didn't really think this could be called a "song" at first. But I let a friend listen to it, and he liked it! So that was encouraging.
It's quite amazing when these songs are writing in an hour or two. I look back and think - wow, that could not have been me writing. It really was inspiration from God! It always totally just amazes me, and I know for sure it's by the grace of God that these songs come forth.
People often ask how songs are written. I am no pro-writer, expert, or anything like that. But well, here's my penny's worth - I used to try to write, but they seemed forced. I've come to realise that it's probably that:
1. God saw my desire to write songs.
2. I don't set out to write songs. I set out to worship.
And sometimes, a song just flows out. So while yes songwriting is a craft - you get better as you do it more, it requires desire (so ask for it) and a heart of worship. He sees your heart!
(11 May 2008)
Tuesday, 22 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment